Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Daily Life in Elko, NV

Just to give you an idea of what I did all summer. This was pretty much my schedule Monday through Thursday. With some variations, of course, throughout the summer.

First, wake up!

Yep, this really is about the time I woke up every morning on the weekdays. Towards the end of the summer, I started not being able to drag myself out of bed until about 4:30.

It was still dark when I woke up in the morning, and the hall was always completely deserted.
Climb into the car at about 4:55 am, with Kate and Lindsay. We carpooled all summer. Don't they just look fabulous this early in the morning?
Early morning van ride. This is when the sun FINALLY came up. But everyone was usually asleep again by this point. For some reason, I could never fall asleep on the morning van rides. But, as a result, I got to see the sunrise every day :)
Walking into the office, this was the first friendly face that I saw in the morning. Kris, the environmental secretary, was so nice and helpful all summer.
We usually congregated around Kris's desk in the morning to talk about our projects that day and what we had done the night before. The other person in this picture is Lakin, she was the summer student that took care of all the typical intern work that we would normally have had to do: copying, filing, organizing, etc. She was awesome!
This was my project for the day (on the day that I took these pictures): Planning the activities for Kid's College. These were the raw materials and I tested out all the activities in the morning.
Mmm, lunch! Peanut butter and jelly, allllll summer long! But, it didn't really ever get old. I'm pretty sure it's only because Mom's jam is the BEST!
These were the other two environmental interns that I worked with this summer; Tommy and Stephanie. We had a lot of fun together.
Triscuits and Wikipedia! What an excellent combination!
The product of the day's work. All the Kid's College stuff together ready to go for the next day.
At the end of the day, we had to sit outside and wait for the van to pick us up. Apparently Kate and Ewelina don't like each other by the end of the day.
Sometimes, we had to wait for a while for the van. So we found ways to entertain ourselves. Bevin got pretty good at stacking rocks.
Then, the ride home. I definitely had no problems falling asleep on the van ride back into town. Which is why I don't have any pictures of it :D.

When I finally got home, it was just dinner, a bit of TV and then bed. Getting up so early definitely takes its toll, so I usually went to bed at about 8:30 every night.

All together, a pretty fun and fulfilling day :)


2 comments:

  1. So cool, Shahn! I loved this post. I drive through Elko to Salt Lake City fairly often! When I last drove through, I thought of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How ironic: Kate and Lindsay...at first I was confused...then I realized I was just being dumb. :)

    ReplyDelete