Friday, March 4, 2011

Me

Note: Beware the heavier things in life. This post is full of them.

Something that is really important to me is defining myself. I hate that look in someone's eye when they have made a snap judgment of me based on something I've said or done. For this reason I try pretty hard to be neutral in some things until my acquaintances get to know me.

I feel like there are two things about me that make people misjudge me: my major and my religion.

Now I don't remember if I've written about what people think when they hear I'm majoring in chemistry, but I did write a poem about it (you can read it here) and I'm sure you've already formed your own opinion of me just from my blog URL. Really, this is probably the most stereotypical thing about me. Yes, I'm a nerd; I will own up to it. Yes, if given the chance, I would gladly tell you exactly how to synthesize, isolate and characterize caffeine. It is just something that I love. BUT I'm not socially inept, I don't play World of War Craft or Dungeons and Dragons, and I know how to do my own makeup and hair. Shocking, right?

Onto heavier things, religion. The best definition for myself comes from my religion: I am a divine and unique spirit daughter of my Father in heaven, created for a specific purpose and here on this earth for a reason. That does not mean that I love green jell-o with carrot shavings (seriously, who came up with that?) or that I want a zillion children or even want to stay in Provo for the rest of my life (please bless that that doesn't happen).

Arriving at the point: Stereotypes are typically frowned upon, but that doesn't make them untrue. I guess the important thing is not to group someone based on stereotype and then dismiss it at that. We're all our Father's children; if that's not enough, what is?

No comments:

Post a Comment